Recently we were called to look at a tile job that a customer was having issues with. She had hired a handyman to do some work for her and had paid for the job in full before he had begun the work. FIRST......please, please do not do this!! It is understandable to pay a portion of an estimate if your contractor is going to have to order supplies before starting your project but for smaller renovation projects (between 2-5k) we rarely charge anything until the job is completed!!
The work was really sad.....shims under tile are not recommended (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice). We did our best to help this customer by writing a letter for her to take to the better business bureau stating the deficiencies that were visible. Hopefully she will be able to recover some of her losses.
The majority of the work had to be completely removed and we started from the beginning so that this particular bathroom is now a bathroom the homeowner can be secure and happy with for years to come. The job is done and our customer is very happy with her beautiful new bathroom.

So how do you make sure that the contractor you are hiring is legit and that the work will be what you have been promised? ASK for referrals and actually call those people.  Better yet ask to go see some of their work.

Last summer we had a customer looking to have her kitchen cabinets resurfaced and she asked if she could see some of our work. I arranged to meet her at one of our customers that we had recently done a full kitchen cabinet resurface project for and she got to see first hand the quality of work that we do as well as hear first hand from our customer about the process and our work ethic. Needless to say when we left this new customer was ready to book her project!! If you ask to see pictures that is ok......but seriously it is so easy these days to copy and past anyone's photos on the internet that it I would recommend either going to see the work of the contractor/tile installer or at least to call a few references that they provide. If you meet resistance when asking to physically see their work.....that should speak volumes to you and I would recommend moving on in your search! Of course if you live anywhere in the lower mainland we would love to come out and give you a complimentary estimate and discuss your ideas!!
Hey, we would even travel if it means that we get to stay someplace warm ;)  (Hawaii) for a reno project! LOL.

Comments

08/04/2016 3:52pm

Your blog site is usually very worthwhile. Enjoy this information! I will definitely consider these tips. Imagine this also may be great for my pals on Facebook or twitter!

03/30/2017 9:31am

I agree you should never pay a handyman upfront, they should finish the job before getting paid.

07/28/2017 1:44am

I don't get the reason why there are people who takes advantage of other people, I mean, don't they have conscience? Oh well, karma is always there and someday they will get to experience the same thing they have done to their victims. Going back, thank you very much for sharing your story, the tips you have shared is very helpful especially for people who are looking for contractors or anything in similar. I hope that this won't happen to anyone of us again and I wish that such people would stop taking advantage of customers. Thank you again and hoping to see more of your posts!

Flawless Crafts Providing Best Semi Precious Gemstone Tiles Includes Gemstone Slabs, Lapis Tile And Countertops.

10/06/2016 11:39pm

Most of the work must be totally expelled and we began from the earliest starting point so that this specific lavatory is presently a restroom the property holder can be secure and content with for a considerable length of time to come.

I think I need to discuss my ideas with you! Come to me, please!

01/02/2017 10:45am

Can you help me with my kitchen renovation? I should contact you as soon as possible.

01/20/2017 8:49pm

ap inter 1st year results

01/25/2017 2:24am

Facetime on windows PC

03/28/2017 12:00am

amazing blog post!!

04/06/2017 9:51am

If I will have some issues - I will definitely contact you. I am sure that your service is very reliable.

05/12/2017 12:20am

This is the explanation that we really need to know at this time. Thank you.

06/20/2017 12:17am

Establishing Android gadget is opportunity like breaking out from prison.Once the root is done you can without much of a stretch redo your gadget in an exceptionally immense degree.For security,Google doesn’t prescribe the clients to root their mobiles.Be that as it may,to appreciate the fullest Android encounter you should need to root your gadget.

06/21/2017 4:02am

Clash Of Clans created by Supercell the Giant Company is a MMO procedure computer game.This game is good with both the Android and iOS.Clash of clans is an exceptionally well known amusement played on the web and individuals from everywhere throughout the world can play this diversion making a group of factions up to 50 individuals to crush other capable tribes.

06/22/2017 12:56am

When it comes to free applications ads are the most annoying part and they can be removed with the following non technical guide

06/24/2017 5:09am

Lucky Patcher is one of the best applications discharged for Android OS which works better for expulsion of undesirable advertisements from free applications introduced in the framework.This application is uniquely intended for helping the clients who are burnt out on from free promotion and popup windows while surfing.This application can likewise be utilized to pick up the entrance to different applications as in the premium applications.

06/25/2017 10:02pm

Nice article! Thanks for sharing.

07/01/2017 2:23am

informative

07/07/2017 4:28am

Kodi is an open source application available for free since 2003. Kodi is previously known as XMBC(xbox media centre) as

it is designed for XBOX by microsoft and it is still maintained by a non profit organisation named XBOX Foundation.

07/14/2017 5:00am

There is an interesting guide for the download and install of the app iRoot. The clear instructions are presented

here in the form of points